Do you dread laundry day? Do you let the laundry pile up until your last pair of socks just to avoid doing it? You are not alone; laundry is a lot of people’s least favorite chore. You may not ever find it fun, but there are a lot of things you can do to make it not so bad! Read these ten tips to make your laundry day go smoothly, efficiently, and maybe even just a little bit less boring.
- Always make sure you start with a clean and fresh washer and dryer. You don’t want to all the work of running a whole load just to realize you need to do it over again!
- Have separate, labeled hampers for separate load types. Try having a dark, light, and delicate separation. Pre-sorting the clothes as you put them in the hampers makes washing them so much faster.
- Always remember to check the pockets of everything before putting clothes in the washer. Random items in pockets can wreak havoc on your laundry units and ruin clothes.
- Have a stain removal guide right near the washer, and treat any stains as suggested for the material and the stain type. Treat stains before running the clothes through the washer.
- Double check that you are washing alike fabrics and colors together. Wash any new dark or red clothes separately, as the colors could bleed into everything else.
- Use mesh garment bags for delicate or small undergarments, such as bras and socks. This will help protect the clothes, and keep things together.
- Do not overload the machines, and do not use more soap than necessary!
- If you are cramped for space wherever you do your laundry, install a fold out ironing board, and use over the door storage for laundry items to save on space.
- Set aside a specific, clean area to be your folding station, and fold each load as they come out so it will feel less overwhelming. You don’t want the clean laundry piling up!
- If you have children, get them involved with laundry day! They can be given small tasks to help, or take on responsibility for their laundry depending on their age. Family involvement might make things more fun for everyone.
Less time and less stress for laundry day means you’ll have more time for fun- or to get more chores done at least!